About This Site

This visa lets skilled workers, who are nominated by their employer, live and work in Australia permanently.

With this visa, you can

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor eligible relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible

Newly arrived residents may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits

How long you can stay

This is a permanent visa – it lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.

You become a permanent resident on the day we grant the visa.

Your permanent residency for citizenship purposes starts:

  • on the day the visa is granted if you are in Australia
  • on the day you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia

Include family

You can:

  • include family members in your application when you apply
  • add family members to your application after you apply but before we decide on your visa

For this visa, your family members are:

  • your partner
  • your dependent child or stepchild
  • your partner’s dependent child or stepchild
  • the dependent child or stepchild of your or your partner's dependent child or stepchild

You can also include someone who holds a subclass 457 or subclass 482 visa if we granted them that visa on the basis that they are a member of your family. 

Family members who apply for the visa with you must meet our health and character requirements.

Family members who do not apply for the visa with you might also have to meet the requirements.


The visa costs AUD3,755 for the main applicant. 

There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.

Second instalment

You will need to pay an extra charge called a second instalment for any family member aged 18 years or older who:

  • applies for the visa with you, and 
  • has less than Functional English

The second instalment for family members who apply for the visa with you is AUD4,890.

To be eligible for this visa as the main applicant, you must be able to show us you have Competent English unless you are exempt. If you are exempt from showing us you have Competent English, you must still show us you have Functional English. If you can't show us you have Functional English you must also pay a second instalment of AUD9,800 when we ask you to.

If you need to pay the second instalment, we will send you an invoice after you have met all other requirements for the visa.

Other costs

You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa pricing estimator. The estimator does not take into account the second instalment or other costs.

Apply from

Apply for this visa from in or outside Australia. If you are in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a related bridging visa A, B or C.

If your substantive visa has a no further stay condition, you might still be able to lodge an application in Australia in certain circumstances - see No Further Stay conditions.

You can be in or outside Australia when we decide on your application.

Your obligations

You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.

We expect that you will work for your nominating employer for at least 2 years.

You must begin your employment within 6 months of:

  • entry to Australia if you were granted the visa outside Australia
  • the visa grant date if you were granted the visa in Australia


From the date we grant this visa, you can travel to and from Australia for up to 5 years.

After that period, you will need a Resident Return (RRV) visa to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.

If you leave Australia after the expiry date of your travel facility, without being granted another permanent visa with a valid travel facility, for example a Resident Return (RRV), you might not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident. 

To see when your travel condition ends, use VEVO.

Visa label

We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.

Book a Consulation about this Visa

Complete our online enquiry form and one of our agents will contact you shortly