About This Site

Allows the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.You apply for the temporary and the permanent partner visas together.

Basic Eligibility

You must be in a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is:

  • an Australian citizen
  • Australian permanent resident
  • eligible New Zealand citizen

With this visa you can

  • stay in Australia until we decide your permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) or the application is withdrawn
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia (you will not receive government support)
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want
  • attend up to 510 hours of free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare

How long you can stay

Stay on the visa until we decide your permanent visa (subclass 100) application or you withdraw the application.

For most applicants, this stay is from 15 to 24 months.

In some circumstances, including where you have been in a long term relationship before you apply, you might not stay on the 309 visa at all. We might grant you the permanent visa immediately after we grant the temporary 309 visa.

Include family members

You can include your members of the family unit in your application. You can:

  • include them when you lodge your visa application
  • add a dependent child after you lodge your application but before we decide on your temporary visa.

Family members who apply with you must:

You can also add them after we grant the temporary visa.


AUD7,160 for the main applicant. This fee covers both:

  • this temporary visa
  • the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)

Apply from

Usually, you must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa. You must be outside Australia when we decide your temporary visa application. 

Your obligations

You and your family members must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.

See what conditions might be attached to this visa.

Adequate health insurance

We recommend you take out health insurance to cover any unforeseen medical treatment you might need in Australia. You are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia. Insurance can help limit your financial liability.

See what we consider adequate health insurance.

Learn more about  Overseas Visitor Health Cover.

Reciprocal healthcare agreements

Some countries have a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia. If your country does, you are covered for essential healthcare services by our public health care scheme, Medicare. Depending on the agreement, you might be covered:

  • for different things
  • for a different period of time.

You are still responsible for any costs that aren't covered by Medicare. Consider getting OVHC to cover you for things Medicare doesn't. Travel insurance might be adequate for short stays.

Private health insurance

You can get Australian residents' private health insurance if you have:

  • an interim (blue) Medicare card
  • a full (green) Medicare card

Book a Consulation about this Visa

Complete our online enquiry form and one of our agents will contact you shortly