About This Site

This visa enables employers to address labour shortages by bringing in genuinely skilled workers where employers can't source an appropriately skilled Australian.

With this visa, you can

  • work in Australia for up to 4 years for your sponsor
  • study (you won't receive government assistance)
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid
  • if eligible, apply for permanent residence

For this stream of the visa, you must be sponsored to work in an occupation listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). 

Your visa will come with conditions attached to it. To see your conditions see your grant letter or use VEVO.

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. You can stay in Australia for up to 4 years.

Stay longer

If your visa is expiring and you want to maintain your sponsorship with your employer:

  • your employer will need to submit a new nomination
  • you must apply for a new visa.

You can’t stay longer by extending the visa.

Your employer could also sponsor you for permanent residence through the:

You might be eligible for other skilled work visas. Use our visa finder to find out options for work

Include family

You can include the following family members in your application:

  • your partner
  • your dependent child
  • your partner’s dependent child

You can't add family members to your application after you apply. Family members can apply for their own TSS visa as a subsequent entrant. 

Family members who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements.


The visa costs AUD2,455 for the main applicant and for each dependent 18 years and over.

It costs AUD615 for each dependent under 18 years old.

You will have to pay other costs for English language tests, health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa pricing estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs

Apply from

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when we decide on your application.

If you are in Australia, you must hold:

  • a substantive visa or
  • a bridging visa A, B or C

You might be able to apply even if your substantive visa has a no further stay condition attached to it.

We will not process your application if you do not pay the correct visa application charge.

Your obligations

You and your family must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.

You must begin your employment within 90 days of:

  • entering Australia, if you are outside Australia when grant the visa
  • the visa grant date, if you are in Australia when we grant the visa

Learn more about conditions on this visa.


You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

The time you spend outside Australia does not extend the visa.

Visa label

We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.

If we grant you a visa, we will send you a grant notification letter containing the visa grant number. You can use this number to access your digital visa record.


You must work in Australia only for your nominating employer. Your family can live, study and work in Australia.

Learn more about conditions on this visa.


Book a Consulation about this Visa

Complete our online enquiry form and one of our agents will contact you shortly