About This Site

This visa stream enables employers to address short term labour shortages by bringing in genuinely skilled overseas workers where employers cannot source an appropriately skilled Australian.

About this visa

The TSS is for skilled workers who wish to work in Australia on a temporary basis. The steps for getting a TSS are:

  1. Employer applies to be a sponsor
  2. Employer is approved to be a sponsor
  3. Employer nominates you for a skilled occupation position
  4. You apply for the visa
  5. Visa outcome

The steps need to be done in order.

With this visa

Your visa will come with conditions attached to it. To see your conditions see you grant letter or use VEVO.

  • work in Australia for up to 2 years for your sponsor
  • study (no government assistance)
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid


The visa costs AUD1,175 for the main applicant and for other applicants 18 years and over.

It costs AUD295 for each other applicants under 18 years old.

You will have to pay other costs for English language tests, health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator

The estimator does not take into account the other costs.

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. You can stay in Australia for the period of time your employer nominates you for.  This will be:

  • up to 2 years in most cases
  • up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies but the maximum length will depend on the actual ITO relevant to your circumstances

An ITO applies if:

  • you are an intra-corporate transferee:
  • you are a citizen/national of China and an intra-corporate transferee, an independent executive or contractual service supplier; or
  • you are an intra-corporate transferee from a Singapore based company and a Singapore citizen/permanent resident; or
  • you are an intra-corporate transferee from a Thailand based company and a Thai citizen/national; or
  • your Thailand based business wants to start a business in Australia
  • you are a contractual service supplier and you are a Thai citizen/national

Stay longer

If your visa is expiring and you want to stay in Australia to work for your existing employer:

  • your employer will need to submit a new nomination
  • you must apply for a new visa.

Under this stream, you are only able to seek one further visa of 2 years onshore.

You can’t stay longer by extending the visa.

Your employer may be able to sponsor you for permanent residence through the:

You might be eligible for other skilled work visas. Use our visa finder to find out options for work

Include other applicants

You can include other applicants (called ‘secondary applicants’) in your visa application.  The people you can add depends on whether you currently hold a Subclass 457 or 482 visa.

You have not previously held a Subclass 457 or Subclass 482 visa

If you have not previously held a Subclass 457 or Subclass 482 visa, the secondary applicants you can include in your visa application are those who are members of the family unit.

You currently hold a Subclass 457 or 482 visa

If you currently hold a Subclass 457 or 482 visa, a secondary applicant can be included in your application if they are a person who:

  • currently holds a Subclass 457 or Subclass 482 visa that was granted on the basis that they were your member of the family unit at the time, and is currently one of the following:
  • is your partner
  • is your or your partner’s child or step-child who is not engaged, married or in a de facto relationship, and is:
    • younger than 23
    • aged 23 or older and fully or mostly reliant on you or your partner because they cannot work, due to a partial or total physical or mental disability
    • your or your partner’s child’s (as described immediately above) dependent child

If you currently hold a Subclass 457 or 482 visa, secondary applicants who are members of the family unit can also apply for a Subclass 482 as a subsequent entrant.

To be granted the visa, secondary applicants must be included in the main applicant’s nomination, or prove written evidence that the sponsor who nominated the main applicant agrees that the secondary applicant can be a secondary sponsored person.

Secondary applicants who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements.

Apply from

Usually, you can be in or outside Australia, but not in immigration clearance when you apply.

However, you must be outside Australia if all the following apply:

  • you have held more than one TSS visa in the Short-term stream
  • you hold a TSS visa in the Short-term stream and you were in Australia when you applied for that visa
  • applying outside Australia is not inconsistent with an ITO

If you are applying in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa.

Your obligations

You and your family must meet all visa conditions and follow Australian laws.

See which conditions will and might be attached to this visa.


You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

The time you spend outside Australia does not extend the visa.

Visa label

We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.


Conditions attached to this visa include that you work in Australia only in the occupation you were nominated for and only for your nominating business or in some circumstances, an associated entity of the business.

Your family can also live, study and work in Australia.

See a full description of the which conditions will and might be attached to this visa.


Book a Consulation about this Visa

Complete our online enquiry form and one of our agents will contact you shortly