About This Site

Visit Australia as often as you wish in a 12-month period. Stay up to 3 months each time you enter Australia.

With this visa you can

Travel to Australia:

  • as a tourist - for example, to cruise or have a holiday 
  • to visit family or friends
  • as a business visitor

You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa. But if your main reason for travelling to Australia is study, a student visa might be more appropriate.


You will need a visa if you enter Australia during a cruise.

If your cruise is a round trip cruise, the time you spend on the cruise counts as time spent in Australia - that is, we do not consider you have left Australia. A round trip cruise will not reset your stay period on your visa.

Ask your cruise operator or travel agent if we consider your cruise to be a round trip cruise.

Business visitor

As a business visitor, you can:

  • make general business or employment enquiries
  • investigate, negotiate, enter into or review a business contract
  • conduct activities as part of an official government visit
  • take part in a conference, trade fair or seminar. The organisers can't pay you to take part

You can't:

  • work for or provide services to a business or organisation based in Australia
  • sell goods or services directly to the public

If you want to do short-term work in Australia that isn't a business visitor activity, consider applying for a temporary work visa.

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. We grant it for either 12 months from the date it is granted, or how long your passport is valid for, whichever is the shorter.

The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while it is valid. You can remain in Australia for 3 months after each entry.

The visa starts on the date it is granted unless you hold another substantive visa that is in effect. 

Stay longer

You can't stay in Australia longer by extending this visa. You must apply for another visa.

If you want to have a further short stay or stay longer for a holiday you might be eligible for a Visitor visa (subclass 600) Tourist stream (apply in Australia).

If you want to stay longer for other reasons, you should be able to apply for a new visa that suits your circumstances.

Explore your visa options.

Including family

You can't include family members in your application. A separate application must be made for each member of your family, including those listed on your passport.


The ETA is free. There is an online application service cost of AUD20.

Apply from

If you are outside Australia when you apply, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

If you apply from immigration clearance, you must be in immigration clearance when the visa is granted.

Your obligations

You must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.

Health insurance

We recommend you take out health insurance to cover any unforeseen medical treatment you might need in Australia. You are personally liable for all your healthcare costs while you are in Australia. Insurance can help limit your financial liability.

See what we consider adequate health insurance.

Learn more about health insurance for overseas visitors.

Reciprocal healthcare agreements

Some countries have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia. Find out more from the Department of Human Services about reciprocal healthcare agreements


You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want while the visa is valid.

Visa label

We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.​​

Your ETA is attached to your current passport. If your current passport expires or you get a new passport:

  • your ETA will cease
  • you must apply for a new ETA

Other visas

Holding another substantive visa at the same time as an ETA will affect how you enter Australia.

Maritime Crew visa or Special Purpose visa

If you hold a Maritime Crew visa or a Special Purpose visa and you are granted an ETA, your ETA will come into effect when it is granted and you will hold both visas concurrently. When you arrive in Australia, you will enter on both visas. You can stay in Australia for the longer of the 2 visa periods.

If the longer period exceeds 3 months the ETA will cease, but you can remain for the duration of the other visa's stay period.

Any other substantive visa

If you hold any other substantive visa and an ETA when you arrive in Australia, you will enter Australia on your other substantive visa, not your ETA. Your ETA will come into effect when the other visa ceases.

However, the 3-month ETA stay period still begins when you enter Australia.

Check your other substantive visa is valid for more than 3 months if you want to stay in Australia longer than the 3-month ETA stay period.


Book a Consulation about this Visa

Complete our online enquiry form and one of our agents will contact you shortly