About This Site

This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently. It is usually only for people who currently hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820).

You must

With this visa you can

  • apply for Australian citizenship if eligible
  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia's public healthcare scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your family members to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • if eligible, attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program

How long you can stay

This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.

You become a permanent resident on the day the visa is granted.

For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts:

  • on the day the visa is granted if you are in Australia
  • on the day you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia.

Include family

You can include your dependent child in your application when you apply for the combined temporary and permanent visas.

If you did not include your dependent child in your temporary visa application, you can still add them to your application before we make a decision on your permanent visa application. The child must:

Complete Form 1002  Application by a subclass 445 dependent child for a permanent partner visa (303KB PDF) and attach it to your ImmiAccount.

Your children must meet our health requirement. If they are 16 years or older they must also meet our character requirement.


You paid for this visa when you applied for the combined temporary and permanent partner visas.

You might have to pay other costs such as those for health checks or police certificates.

Your obligations

You and your children must obey all Australian laws.

Book a Consulation about this Visa

Complete our online enquiry form and one of our agents will contact you shortly