About This Site

With this visa you can

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia's public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible

This visa lets you stay in Australia to provide care to someone with a long-term medical condition who does not have reasonable access to care options in Australia. The person you care for must be your relative, or your relative's family member who lives with them.

Travel to and from Australia for 5 years

You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date the department grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.

If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:

  • you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
  • you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don't require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship

To see when your travel facility ends, use VEVO.

​How long you can stay

This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.

For citizenship purposes, your permanent residence starts on the day the department grant the visa.

Include family

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply.

Family members who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements.


This visa costs from AUD1,665 for the main applicant. There is also an additional charge for each family member who applies with you.

You pay for this visa in 2 parts called instalments.

Pay the first instalment when you apply. Pay the second instalment when the department ask you to.

You might also have to pay other costs for each applicant for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.

Apply from

You must be in Australia when you apply and when the department grant your application.

Book a Consulation about this Visa

Complete our online enquiry form and one of our agents will contact you shortly