This visa lets holders of the Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) in the Business Innovation stream or the Business Innovation Extension stream, or holders of a subclass 444 (Special Category) visa, or certain holders of a subclass 457 (Business (Long Stay) visa, stay permanently.
With this visa, you can
- stay in Australia permanently
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia's public health care scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible apply for Australian citizenship
Newly arrived residents may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits.
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia permanently.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day:
- we grant the visa if you are in Australia
- you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia when we grant this visa
You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply. You can also add children to your application at any time before we decide on your application.
Family members who are not coming to Australia might also have to meet our health and character requirements.
The visa costs AUD2,405 for the main applicant.
There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.
You might have to pay an extra charge for any applicant 18 years old or older who has less than functional English. This charge is the second instalment charge. Pay it only when we ask you to. We will refund the charge if we do not grant you the visa.
The second instalment charge is AUD4,890.
You only need to pay it for family members who did not pay the second instalment charge for their Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa.
To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the second instalment or other costs.
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when we decide on your application but not in immigration clearance.
You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.
If you are outside Australia when we grant the visa:
- you and your family members must enter Australia by a certain date (we will tell you when this is)
- any family members included in your application might not be able to marry or enter into a de facto relationship before they enter Australia (we will tell you if this is the case)
Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.
If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:
- you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don't require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship
If you leave Australia after the expiry date of your travel facility, without being granted another permanent visa with a valid travel facility, for example a Resident Return (RRV), you will not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident.
To see when your travel facility ends, use VEVO.